The Director of Business Development (BD) at QED is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer. This position leads QED’s business development activity from big picture thinking to day-to-day team and process management, and the details that make proposals, and ultimately QED, successful. The Director drives the creation of a culture at QED that highly values performance, innovation, quality, efficiency, open communication, collaboration, learning, and operational integration.
The Director is responsible for driving the achievement of QED’s annual BD targets and managing the day to day BD operations. S/he directly oversees the BD team and works closely with the Programs and Operations teams. S/he is responsible for managing the successful execution of the day to day business development activities from identification to submission of a high-quality bid. Development and management of BD processes, active management of the BD team and clear and active communication among the various teams including coordinating and managing the ‘capture’ process, developing a capture calendar and managing the capture budget, proposal management, developing /writing select sections, and the compliance and the final production and delivery of proposals including interfacing with partner, subcontractors, and clients. The Director will also be involved in teaming decisions, pricing strategy, win strategies, proposal development, and closing these opportunities. He/she will oversee and provide support in building the capacity of BD team members including proposal managers, research associates, and cost & pricing team members. Other responsibilities include marketing QED’s core strengths to clients and partners, fostering and developing new partnerships, and directing current projects when necessary.
The position also requires strategic thinking and ability to leverage new partnerships and connections to break into new markets. The Director will lead and drive this process and actively work towards networking and building new partnerships, relationships, identifying new opportunities and identifying key people as potential consultants and hires.
BD Process and Management (45%)
• Drive achievement of QED’s BD goals including active management and communication of the pipeline and submission of high quality proposals are being submitted
• Manage the day to day BD process and BD team responsibilities
• Review bid processes regularly, identify gaps, and increase efficiencies
• Develop and maintain strong quality control, compliance and consistency on all QED proposals.
• Standardize the BD process at QED, develop clear processes and templates for each step of the BD process, actively communicate, develop quality control at each step
• Provide BD training on the process, templates, etc.
• Coordinate, manage, and communicate the capture process
• Identify and follow up with partners for current and new bids
• Execute clear teaming agreements
• Serve, as necessary (primarily for very large proposals), as the proposal manager or czar for the proposal strategies, teaming agreements, and technical portions or submissions including drafting corporate capabilities, branding and marketing plans, and other corporate documents
• Conduct after action analysis of proposal development to find opportunities for improvement
Senior Leadership/Corporate (15%)
• Provide report regularly to the Senior Leadership Team and Management Committee on performance and goals (i.e. win rate; loss rate; annual sales target, trends)
• Maintain accurate information in relevant databases, including those on corporate capacity
• Maintain accurate and timely electronic files
• Coordinate with Regional BD lead in Asia
Pursuing New Markets (20%)
• Conduct market analysis and develop a pipeline of opportunities for new markets (DOD, DFID, MCC, etc.)
• Develop a plan to break into the market with specific goals
• Identify and build relationships with new partners
• Develop collateral to market and represent QED in the new areas
• Identify potential hires/consultants for new markets
Teaming/Interfacing with Potential Partners/Subcontractors (15%)
• Represent the Company to potential clients and partners and lead discussions on specific bids
• Lead efforts to build partnerships and subcontractor relationships and support proposal managers to negotiate partnership arrangements and budget
• Coordinate teaming agreements, subcontracts, and other institutional agreements with partners
Preparing for ad hoc opportunities to present to potential clients (5%)
• Prepare and present formal presentations to prospective clients based on their needs
• Bachelor's degree with requisite experience required
• Masters’ degree in a relevant field (MBA, MA/MS, MPH) preferred
• 10-15+ years of progressive relevant experience in proposal management and business development activities, specifically for USAID contracts
• Experience in relationship management, marketing and market development, especially to USAID and the international donor space (DFID, UN, DFAT, MCC, etc.) and with key partners
• Experience in managing the business development process from start to end
• Experience leading key personnel searches for competitive bids and negotiating with partners
• Successful track record of capturing prime new business awards with USG federal agencies working internationally and multilateral international donors
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Advanced project management skills
• Previous experience supervising staff and providing leadership to BD and proposal teams
• Well-organized, attentive to detail, skilled in setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Works well independently and in teams; proactive in anticipating work requirements and problem solving
• Ability to travel 15-20% of the time, both domestically and overseas
• International experience living or working preferred; foreign language fluency helpful
• Business development experience for Department of Defense with proven success rate a plus
• Experience in developing cost proposals and pricing strategies preferred
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
Level of position may be adjusted given candidate qualifications. Salary commensurate with position level and experience.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without resume and/or biodata will not be considered. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The QED Group, LLC is an equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Veterans, and Minorities are encouraged to apply. AA//V/D.